Before writing some closing remarks for this blog, I feel urged to compile a list of tips for future Waterfordians. In fact, I had quite a bit of fun doing it. Keep in mind that these tips are rooted in experience. Enjoy!
Consider the following:
- Don’t be afraid to stay up late, rambling on with friends. “Foam” sessions hold intrinsic value.
- Favela has the best showers in Emhlabeni – even if you don’t actually reside there!
- Welile is the cab to call. Reach him @76636981, and let him know I gave you his number. You won’t regret it.
- Make the most of the many extracurricular and service opportunities at Waterford. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, start it!
- A well-decorated cubie will quickly become a cozy home.
- Learn to love pap and beef. Also chicken and rice.
- When in Maputo, Nucleo De Arte is an absolute must.
- Go to Joburg and stay at Curiosity Backpackers in Maboneng. It’s a hot place.
- Eat butter chicken at Green Chilli.
- Also, it’s ok to order butter chicken from Green Chilli and sit at Ocean Basket for their wine.
- Go to House on Fire’s events. Go during the daytime, as well.
- Take kombis – they’re cheap and fun. Maybe not on the Malanguane highway on a rainy day – safety is important.
- Don’t be silly when it comes to overnight exeats – it’s easy to check out legitimately.
- Nights are more fun if they include Solanis or Pub n’ Grill.
- Camp at Bushfire (!), and don’t be afraid to talk to random people – you’ll have fun.
- If you decide to go to Moonlight, don’t go alone.
- When IB gets heavy, take a walk around campus, and reflect on how immensely privileged you are to live in such a wonderful place.
- Nights at the Millin are more fun with beer-pong.
- When going to a jol, quarts (660 ml) of beer can be bought for R13 at spazas.
- Recommended backpackers (+) in Swaziland: Legends, Sundowners, Cathmar, Sondzela, Veki’s Village (NOT Veki’s guesthouse)
- Try to keep your cubie at least relatively clean. Life will be nicer.
- Maintain a good relationship with the staff – both teachers and others. It’ll make your experience significantly easier.
- If you’re well organized, you won’t need to pull the notorious all-nighters. I did only one, and I wasn’t even particularly organized – win.
- Mrs. Tinney is a sweetheart. She will make sure you have a link family to stay with!
- Appreciate that the babes and makes dedicate their time and hard work in order for you to live comfortably. Let them know that you appreciate them.
- Scented candles from Mr. Price Home give you a good return on your cash.
- Appreciate your fellow students. These people will become your family, through thick and thin.
- Have fun
Congratulations on being admitted to Waterford. Make the most of it!